Auditions & Interviews for Courses
All UC Berkeley students are invited to audition for TDPS acting and dance courses. If a disability-related accommodation is needed for a class audition, please contact the Undergraduate Academic Advisor at least one week prior to the start of the semester.
For students in DSP, please contact your DSP specialist well in advance of the audition so there is time for the accommodation process and notify the department to make arrangements. Please ask DSP to also send disability accommodation notices for auditions to the Undergraduate Academic Advisor at least one week prior to the start of the semester.
How do I enroll in acting courses for Spring 2021?
For Spring 2021, auditions will not be required for the acting sequence: Theater 10, 109, 110B, or 111. Students may now enroll in these courses without a permission number.
What experience is required for acting courses?
All prerequisites for acting courses are still in effect for Spring 2021:
- Theater 10 has no prerequisites
- Theater 109 requires Theater 10 (or equivalent)
- Theater 110B requires Theater 109
- Theater 111 requires Theater 110A or 110B
Students should have a monologue ready to work on during the first week of class. Please contact individual course instructors with questions.
Other Theater Courses
Which theater courses require an interview?
- Theater 112: Voice & Speech
- Theater 162: Fundamentals of Stage Directing
How do I enroll in these courses?
- All interested students must be interviewed by the instructor during the first week of the semester for admission into the course.
- Be prepared to talk about your interest in the course and any relevant experience.
- Students who are interested in Theater 112 should contact the instructor, Jessica Berman Hirigoyen, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students who are interested in Theater 162 should sign up for an interview on the TDPS Callboard. Sign-up forms will be available by January 12, 2021.
- Admitted students will be given the Permission Numbers needed for enrollment.
How do I enroll in dance courses for Spring 2021?
Auditions are not required for dance classes for Spring 2021. Students are expected to self-enroll in these classes based on their training/preparedness level.
What experience is required for dance courses?
- Students enrolling in Theater 141 are expected to have at least one full year or two semesters of beginning level modern/contemporary dance technique, Africana dance technique, or equivalent experience. They should have a basic understanding of getting into and out of the floor and be comfortable with improvisation and open to exploring their bodies through movement research.
- Students enrolling in Theater 142 are expected to have at least two full years or four semesters of modern/contemporary dance technique, Africana dance technique, or equivalent experience. They should be able to get into and out of the floor with ease and understand the mechanics of inversions. They should be comfortable utilizing modern dance terminology and forms. And, they should understand that their dancing bodies are an interrelated mix of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual ways of knowing the world.
- Please contact the instructor of the course directly with questions or clarifications.