New Play Reading Series
The New Play Reading Series is a unique collaboration that brings undergraduate and graduate students together in a repertory company to produce three staged readings of contemporary plays. In Spring 2020, the Series will feature an exciting partnership with Z Space, a professional theatre company in San Francisco.
Working alongside graduate students from the Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies, undergraduate company members will get a taste of the early stages of new play development, will have opportunities to meet and work with emerging playwrights and directors, and will perform in staged readings open to the public. The company will be cast through open auditions at the beginning of spring semester, and enrollment permission codes will then be distributed to participants. All students are encouraged to audition, and no previous theatre experience is required. Play titles will be announced by the end of fall semester.
1 unit P/NP
Graduate Student Instructors:
* All events take place on campus unless otherwise noted
Students must attend every staged reading (including the readings in which they are not cast), as well as every rehearsal for the shows in which they are participating as a member of the production team. All students are also required to participate actively in our beginning-of-semester orientation meeting (details TBA) and our end-of-semester wrap-up meeting.
Auditions will be held at the beginning of Spring semester. Exact dates and times will be announced.
Students are required to attend an orientation meeting. Exact date and time will be announced.
- Rehearsal 1: Sunday, February 9 (Exact time TBA; 4 hours)
- Rehearsal 2: Tuesday, February 11 (4pm-6pm)
- Reading: Wednesday, February 12 (4pm-6pm)
- Rehearsal 1: Sunday, March 1 (Exact time TBA; 4 hours)
- Rehearsal 2: Tuesday, March 3 (4pm-6pm)
- Reading: Wednesday, March 4 (4pm-6pm)
Reading 3 (in collaboration with Z Space)
- Rehearsal 1: Tuesday, April 7 (4pm-6pm)
- Rehearsal 2: Thursday, April 9 (4pm-6pm)
- Rehearsal 3: Tuesday, April 14 (4pm-6pm)
- First Reading: Wednesday, April 15 (4pm-6pm)
- Second Reading (performed at Z Below in San Francisco): Monday, April 20 (Exact time TBA)
Wrap Up Meeting
Tuesday, April 28 (4pm-6pm)